Print Page Print Page

Send to friend

Railway Junction in Novi Sad

box1

''Liman'' Railway Station and first facilities that integrate the railway junction in Novi Sad were constructed in 1883 during construction of Subotica-Novi Sad-Inđija Railway Line.

However, the junction was heavily damaged in bombing (April 6th,1941).

The purpose of construction of the railway bridge was to enable temporary solution for the railway traffic operations between Petrovaradin and Novi Sad.
However, this created extremely unfavorable situation for both the railway and the city of Novi Sad. The railway has witnessed significant difficulties in organization and traffic operation while residents of Novi Sad suffered negative impacts such as: traffic congestion, noise, decreased safety and restricted possibilities for construction and reconstruction of the city core area.

box2

Works on design of the railway junction were entrusted to the Yugoslav Railways Engineering Institute. Construction of the new bridge started at the end of 1957 according to professor Žeželj's design. The bridge was completed and put into operation on October 31st, 1961.

Construction of new passenger station together with passenger building started on March 1st, 1963, and was completed and put into operation on May 31st, 1964.

The completely new concept of spatial development was created. This adopted concept was based on requirements specified in the General Urban Plan according to which passenger building is located within the central city zone, while other railway facilities are accommodated in industrial zone between the railway line and the Danube-Tisa-Danube Canal.

Construction of the railway junction in Novi Sad has activated significant reconstruction works.

At the same time construction of boulevards is realized, one of which connects the new railway station with the city center with the Danube.

box3

back